Saturday, May 12, 2012

Sketching in charcoal.

The more I use charcoal pencils to sketch, the more I like the results.  Here are some sketches that I've done over the past month.  The first one of the open door was my contribution for the theme 'open' for Sketchbook Challenge's April challenge.


This is a tree stump in our back yard.  When I showed the MOTH, he stared at it and said 'what is it?'  I replied  "never mind"....

The old trestle bridge in Eltham.  I'd done a water colour of this bridge last month, and was disappointed in my efforts.  I think this is a bit better, but when I compared it to the photo I took from the same spot on the day we were sketching, I realise I still have lots to learn about perspective!

The MOTH and I went to a Native American workshop recently, and one of the activities was learning to dance Apache style.  Ken and I sat that one out!  So I took the chance to do a quick sketch of some of the others dancing, with the Indian in his regalia standing with his back to us.  It is very difficult to draw people when they are moving around - all the books say you need to practice constantly to get it right.  They are not exaggerating!

No comments:

Post a Comment