Monday, March 11, 2013

Almost a year later....

It feels like ten years since I last posted anything here.  Lot of water gone under the bridge with birthdays, Christmas, deaths, funerals, and health issues.  But that's life, isn't it. 
I didn't finish the water colour classes in the end; Ken got ill and was taken to hospital, and I was also involved in a linens display, and I just could not get my head around learning the water colour techniques.  Dorothy was such a great tutor, and I think she was disappointed that I dropped out, but I assured her it was nothing to do with her teaching - it was all to do with what was going on in my life at that time.

I'd like to have another go at learning how to paint with watercolour, but I'll make sure that nothing else will distract me during the course!  In the meantime this year I signed up for a six week course with the Eltham Living And Learning Centre  - 'Drawing For Fun'.  It sounded like it didn't need too much concentration, and I was right.  The tutor does make everything fun, but she also teaches us a new drawing technique each week.  The first week we just doodled in our own way while she discussed with each of us what we wanted to achieve.  The second week we tried drawing faces from photos that she handed around to everyone, and showed us the basics of drawing head and facial features. Last week she taught us how to understand and use the principles of perspective, and I found that very useful indeed.  Then she gave us a quarto sheet of paper folded in half and instructed us to draw a simple landscape on the left hand side.  After we'd done that, she told us to pass our drawing to the person next to us, and each person then had to unfold the paper, and continue the previous person's landscape in their own way.  A very interesting exercise!  We all had fun with that one, and afterwards we were able to photocopy our drawings so we each had our two versions.

My camera battery has gone flat, and although I have a lovely new scanner/printer, I feel too lazy to scan anything I've done so far, but I will eventually.  It is just so damn hot here and it is sapping the energy out of everyone at the moment.  All I feel up to doing is typing to bring the blog up to date!

No comments:

Post a Comment